Tuesday, November 25, 2008

6th Period Classes Pick Up an Assist at the Library



On November 19th, Ms. Bylaska's and Mr. Peterson's 6th period English classes had the opportunity to meet author Neil Swidey at the Boston Public Library. Swidey spoke about his book The Assist, and brought along Hugh Coleman, the assistant basketball coach at Charlestown High and an important character in the book.



Some students summed up the event.


Armando writes:

Neil Swidey is the author of The Assist. The Assist is based on a group of teens on a basketball team from Charlestown High. When I first heard about going to the library to hear some author I never heard about talk, I was like "Damn, this is going to be wack." I didn't want to go. The day and time came to go and we were off to the library. . .

Neil Swidey put on a little slide show based on the book The Assist, giving us a little taste of what it was about. It was mostly about a group of boys who love to play basketball and play together as one. . .

The speech given by Hugh Coleman was outstanding. It was really deep. Based on what he had been through, he inspired me so much that I can stand up and say "Anything is Possible."

Monica Nguyen adds:

I enjoyed yesterday because I met an author, someone who really wrote a book. That was one of my dreams, to meet an author. Yesterday, when Mr. Coleman was explaining his life story, I could sort of relate to how he grew up. My mother wasn't a druggie or alcoholic, but I could always imagine that my mom would never come home. . .

When Mr. Coleman told his story, I felt not alone anymore. I felt that someone would understand where I was coming from.
Demetria continues:

Yesterday was a very positive experience. We met with an author about his new book called The Assist The author's name was Neil Swidey. He talked about how the book ws about the people of Charlestown High. It was good to see him speak because we got an idea of how the book got started and why he decided to write it.

We also spoke with [Hugh Coleman] He told us about his life when he was growing up and how he had a lot of responsibility. He talked about how you're the only one who decides how your life is going to be. It really made me think and I enjoyed being there.Hugh Coleman inspires the crowd.
Elijah and nine other students won copies of the book in a special raffle.

Everybody smile!

Thanks to Ms. Shannon and The librarians at the YA Room at the BPL for helping organize the event.

For more information on Neil Swidey or The Assist, visit here.






No comments: